Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Communion of Two Hearts


One of my life list items(or 'Bucket List Items" as in 'before you kick the bucket') is to learn more about the Hawaiian culture. It has always been a curiosity to me since living in the Islands and now, even more so, because Hawaii is closer to my heart.

I was given the gift of mana cards, sort of like tarot cards with a Hawaiian 'punch'. As much of the Hawaiian culture is documented by an oral tradition, wonderfully illustrated mana cards give a clearer snapshot into the interpretation of Hawaiian symbols and tradition. It is a resource to understanding what it all means in relation to ourselves, our beliefs, our relationships.

My email name has been 'menehune' for many years as I became infatuated with these magical and mystical spirits thirty years ago. As Catherine Becker notes, you may interpret the menehune as someone who can accomplish amazing feats; they sometimes act as a reminder to step back and take account of what you are doing as there is more than one way to view a situation. Patience, persistance, attention to detail -- ah, my soulmate, the menehune ..

What's on your Bucket List?

No comments: