Thursday, October 2, 2008

Wings and Roots and all those other things …

I have finally come to terms with the fact that daughter has indeed moved out and there’s a high probability that her room is not going to be ‘her’ room anymore – she’s been gone for 3 years.

Well, I first came to that reality last June when my fiancé moved in and set up this room as his private haven. And, I guess after being in NYC for three years and now living together with her boyfriend, it’s a fact that my daughter identifies herself as a New Yorker (but still a Red Sox fan in ‘enemy’ territory).

So, last weekend I packed the remnants of her prior life in boxes – photos, yearbooks, prom gowns, journals. Among the items was a family history done by one of my sisters almost ten years ago, as a written history to be passed to the younger generation in the family. In thumbing through it, I was reminded at the enormity of the task and amazed at the precise care given to writing about historical facts and ancestors.

As mentioned before, my ancestors came from Avellino. To be exact, my dad’s parents were from Parolise and Candida; my mom’s from Rocco San Felicia. Coming from Italy to New York (and eventually to Boston) in 1898 and 1900 respectively.

One of our generations will get to visit these areas. I’ve been close ….

No comments: