Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Comfort Food

I very rarely get out for lunch so I have a stash of natural peanut butter and crackers to snack on during the hungry hour. The other day, while preparing my crackers, one of the maintenance men came by and recanted how he and his sister used to watch the monster double feature on Saturdays with peanut butter crackers (his had jelly too). My director used to reminisce too. While sharing a multi-ethnic Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago, this topic came up. It was interesting to hear the variety of 'comfort' one finds in what one is culturally used to eating. Surprisingly, both my adult children reminded me that there food was 'pastina' - I used to make it on Sunday nights because it was easy and economical! It was a macaroni and egg dish my aunt used to make me when I visited her in Providence. Guess I inadvertently passed on the tradition. Got me to thinking. What foods are YOUR comfort foods?

2 comments:

Annie said...

Mashed potatoes. Macaroni and cheese. Cheese grits. Can you tell that I'm a Southerner?!? LOL

Trekcapri said...

Hi M, Gelato in Italy is my ultimate comfort food. Locally, definitely pizza. :)

Fun post. Hope you have a wonderful week.