Friday, October 16, 2009

Alhambra (Granada) Spain



Kathy at (http://trekcapri.blogspot.com) and I have shared our stories of Andalucia - especially the Alhambra. We even blogged common photos.

Since my return from London, I have become eager to learn about the line of monarchy and thus the history of England (bear with me). So, I have been devouring historical fiction novels about the notable queens and notorious kings. Presently, I am reading, The Constant Princess, which is a novel about Catherine of Aragon - youngest daughter of Ferdinand and Isabella, Princess of Spain and Wales (Arthur's wife and then dutifully, faithfully and tragically - Henry VIII's). The book describes the entrance into the Alhambra after the King and Queen of Spain defeated the Moors. The author, Phillippa Gregory, describes the Alhambra like poetry: "But the little doorway is like a keyhole to a treasure chest of boxes, the one opening out into another. ....Their very names are a poem: the Golden Chamber, the Courtyard of the Myrtles, the Hall of the Ambassadors, the Courtyard of the Lions, or the Hall of the Two Sisters. It will take us weeks to find our way from one exquisitely tiled room to another. It will take us months to stop marveling at the pleasure of the sound of water running down the marble gulleys in the rooms, flowing to a white marble fountain ..... Every window frame is like whitework embroidery - the stucco is of fine, so delicate, it is like sugar work by confectioners ..."

I hope to paint you the picture of the Alhambra in your minds - it is truly breathtaking to see..

Photos from the web.

1 comment:

Trekcapri said...

Hi Flygirl, fabulous post! I love your photos of the Alhambra. The details in their wood carvings and the beautiful reflecting pools still stay with me forever.

That is a really interesting book. The quote describing the Alhambra is so beautiful! The part about the doorways being a keyhole to a box of treasures, one opening up into the other, is so perfect. That's exactly how it is there. Just when you think you've seen everything, you come across another beautiful fountain and garden. It was just stunning to me.

I have really enjoyed sharing our memories of the Alhmabra. It is such an amazing place that I think everyone should see at least once in their lifetime too!

Thanks soooo much for allowing me to revisit the Alhambra with you and for sharing that novel and the beautiful descriptive quote.

Have a great weekend!