Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hey, Paisano!


I don't know why I am always amazed when I run into someone that I later determine is related to me. The probability is, upon reflecton, quite high.


There were 10 siblings on my mother's side and each had at least 3 children (30). Seven boys (God bless my grandmother) on the other side (one bachelor and one childless) and each had at least 2 children (~10). In 1985, we had a family reunion for just one side of the family and 164 people were present. So, when I run into someone who has a family surname, I ask them about their family. After the preliminary questions of where did you grow up and parents' names, there's a connection made. This happened today in a phone conversation with someone. After speaking to him, I asked his name for my file reference - and sure enough - we are related!

Even when I was living in Hawaii in the 70s, I was contacted by a cousin who resided there (and I had only met him once - much older than I). I hardly knew him, but he was family and it felt good to be with family so far away from home.

When I was younger my father and mother would sometimes describe someone in conversation as "you know, he's a paisan." Seriously, I think everyone with a bit of Italian blood is related. After all, if you read about the emporers, kings, masters of arts, and even the popes, they fathered many families......hmm, makes you wonder?

No comments: